Build a Tri or Quadcopter
Some notes from a presentation at Maker Faire:
- Software from AeroQuad. Runs on Arduino/Arduino Mega
- Hobby King in Hong Kong is cheap.
- Some people use round carbonfiber/fiberglass heli tail booms, but round bars are trouble - it's hard to keep things aligned/square. Motors can rotate around the bar. Use square aluminum towel rail instead.
- He used helicopter landing skids
- HK motors can be unreliable - seizing or disintegrating
- He used a 5 Ah LiPo
- 7 channel RC system is best, 6 is ok, minimum 4 channel
- You will break props.
Tri vs Quad
Tricopter reduces motor, prop, ESC costs by ~1/4. Increases thrust vector calculation complexity slightly?
What should you know if you want to deviate from the parts list in the tutorial?
"go with the recommended sensors if you want a quad that will be up flying within a few weeks"
SparkFun's 6DOF Razor is not recommended.
Analysis-based tuning (eg Ziegler & Nichols) is not recommended: http://aeroquad.com/showthread.php?359-Stable-flight-logic.../page6&highlight=ziegler+nichols